I am saying that a 100 lb weight lifted 15 ft in the air will have 1500
ft-lbs of energy in it.  That's it, no more.  If I am pumping a bellows
1 foot with 100 lbs of force which is about how hard I estimate were
leaning on Guillumes bellows because I am using most of my weight then
there is enough energy in the weight to pump the bellows 15 times.  (
This assumes there is no friction, and the bellows magically open and
fill themselves with air.)  The bellows are being pumped through there
cycle about every 5 seconds.  If the above weight system were used  the
machinery would be doing fantastic if it worked for a whole minute which
is not practical for a process that may take an hour or more.
Escapements can be made to  control how fast that happens assuming the
weight and its mechanisms are pumping too fast.  They will also use up
some of the energy in the process. What I am unclear on is how much
energy the escapement uses.  It could be small say 5%.  It could also be
very large like 90%.