You want to read this book:

Shaping the Day: A History of Timekeeping in England and Wales
1300-1800, by Paul Glennie and Nigel Thrift

http://www.amazon.com/Shaping-Day-History-Timekeeping-1300-1800/dp/0199278202/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_S_nC?ie=UTF8&colid=36NTMMOPUZONZ&coliid=I2OPPLIHIHO3IA

It has a rather large section on the verge and foiliot designs, and a
number of very good sources.

Miklos