Reposted for Her Ladyship Lorraine Devereaux

Subject: Re: Fwd: [CALONTIR] clock escapements
From:    "Lorraine Gehring" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:    Sat, August 3, 2013 9:08 am
To:      [log in to unmask]

Reply to him for me:

The double wheel escapement may actually preceed the crown-style verge
and foliot escapement wheel (the scape wheel) by a few years. They were
independently invented around 1300 (maybe a bit earlier) in two
different places.

But the double wheel escapement is more difficult to build and keep
running well. It is simpler with one scape wheel. That's why historians
believe it died out so quickly.

Evidence suggests the double wheel was invented in northern Italy.
That's where the clocks are. The single wheel shows up in England,
France and other places pretty quickly.

One caveat: A type of escapement wheel was used with 13 th century water
clocks to ring bells. It's probably where the whole idea came from. But
those would not be verge and foliot clocks.

Contact me at [log in to unmask] for the sources. I've posted my
paper on clocks to 1200 AD on my website, but I haven't finished the
paper from 1200 to 1600.

Lorraine Devereaux

--
Mathurin