If you haven't read "Bee Bites" by Roger Swain. I recommend it. It was
reprinted in '"Insect Lives: Stories of Mystery and Romance from a Hidden
World" by Hoyt & Schultz in 2002.

On Sat, Aug 10, 2013 at 1:52 PM, Barry OConnor <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Yes, and virtually all of my relatives call anything that stings a bee,
> despite my efforts to introduce the term "wasp". And there are two kinds of
> bees - honey bees and "ground bees". - Barry
>
> - So many mites, so little time!
>
> Barry M. OConnor
> Professor and Curator
> Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
> Museum of Zoology
> 1109 Geddes Ave.
> Ann Arbor, Michigan 48109-1079 USA
> phone: 734-763-4354
> FAX: 734-763-4080
> e-mail: [log in to unmask]
>
> On Aug 10, 2013, at 2:23 PM, Mike Ferro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> Some of my earliest memories are of trying to get my cousin to apply the
> terms "frog" and "toad" correctly. Are some of us born this way? Perhaps,
> but maybe it also has to do with our personal interests.
>
> The ant bite/sting problem is really annoying, especially because for some
> people it's the difference between life and death.
>
> Mike
>

> On Fri, Aug 9, 2013 at 7:40 PM, Chris Fall <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Perhaps we are being to analytical here.  I think that perhaps they may
>> have meant to state that the "Bite" was in reference to the cost of Fire
>> Ant control.  If this is the case, the designers should have been
>> blatantly clear. (perhaps I am being too analytical here)
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> Christopher J. Fall
>> V.P. General Manager
>> BioQuip Products, Inc.

Contact info:

Kipling W. Will
Associate Professor/Insect Systematist
Interim Director,Essig Museum of Entomology

send specimens to:
Essig Museum of Entomology
1101 Valley Life Sciences Building, #4780
University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, CA 94720-4780

letter mail to:
130 Mulford Hall
ESPM Dept.- Organisms & Environment Div.
University of California
Berkeley, California 94720

fax 510-643-5438