From: Meador, Dr. Douglas M [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:01 PM
To: Lee, Frederic
Subject: Looking for adjuncts

Fred,

We recently moved our MBA and MHA degrees to online delivery and find that our enrollment is growing faster than expected.  Due to that growth we are considering undertaking a search for adjunct professors to teach Managerial Economics (ECON 565) and Healthcare Economics (BUS 566).  The MBA Program has been accredited by the Accreditation Council for Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP) and we are considering seeking accreditation for the MHA. The upshot of this accreditation is that we need adjuncts who have their PhD in hand; our Dean is very emphatic about this. As this is an online class, the adjunct may teach from anywhere.

Should we receive funding, contracts could be awarded as early as this coming spring, especially for the Managerial Economics class; each class will pay $2,400.

Details of the classes:

  *   Each class is offered in an eight-week format: Healthcare Economics is offered from mid-January through mid-March, Managerial Economics is offered from mid-March through mid-May.
  *   The delivery platform is provided by Capital Education, LLC.
  *   Textbook selection and assignments are already made; the role of the adjunct is grading, answering questions, and interacting with students in graded discussion forums.  There is some latitude to develop and deliver lectures and, tentatively, hold class meetings with students (we are still debating this).  The model in use here at Saint Francis is that a Subject Matter Expert (SME) is assigned to each area.  The SME is responsible for text selection, course development, and faculty development.  The SME can teach, as I currently do, or simply supervise instructors.  If the budget is approved and we do begin to hire adjuncts, my plans are to work closely with them in the hope that as they teach the courses they will begin to see better ways to organize the course, have suggestions for better assessments, ideas for different textbooks, and other thoughts, all of which we could use to improve the course.
     *   Current text for ECON 565 is Economics for Managers, 3rd ed., by Paul G. Farnham.  There is a self-grading quiz for each chapter, two exams (one covering the microeconomic chapters, one for the macroeconomic chapters), and a major paper which focuses upon the global impact upon the student's employer.
        *   In the past, the course also used Post Keynesian Price Theory by Lee, Managerial Economics: Economic Tools for Today's Decision Makers, 5th ed., by Keat & Young, Competitive Strategy by Michael Porter, and the Wall Street Journal.  The class was taught with the intent to present the orthodox, theoretical view of the world (Keat & Young), how the world actually works (Lee), and an application that would blend both the theoretical and practical (Porter).  Upon moving from the traditional, on-ground, 15-week delivery to an eight-week online delivery, the course got somewhat truncated.  One hope is that adjuncts could contribute to the process of finding a way to restore the fuller treatment of the course in the eight-week format.
     *   Text for BUS 566 is Economics of Health and Medical Care, 6th ed., by Lanis L. Hicks.  Assignments for this course are under development, the first deployment of the course will be January, 2014.
  *   Candidates, regardless of their own faith tradition, must be supportive of the Catholic and Franciscan ideals of the university.
  *   The University of Saint Francis is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and strongly encourages applications from women and minority candidates.

I would welcome any and all expressions of interest in this type of an adjunct position from anyone holding a PhD in Economics (or Interdisciplinary Studies with the coordinating field in Economics).

Doug Meador, PhD
Associate Professor of Economics
Keith Busse School of Business & Entrepreneurial Leadership
John Paul II Bldg., 302-G
University of Saint Francis
(260) 399-7700, ext. 8314 office
(260) 267-5334  mobile