I tried a couple free-standing digital asset managers but didn't find one I
really wanted to use.  I purposely just downloaded a trial version and
waded in without reading too deeply into tutorials, as I wanted a user
interface more or less intuitive.  Today it's mostly less, but you know
what I mean :).  (I spent not one moment with video tutorials, which I find
to often be a pain in the butte, as one has to listen to the whole video
instead of being able to scan a table of contents to address a certain
problem.)  Perhaps I didn't look at enough different systems, but frankly
most DAM software includes other types of software, most notably photo raw
converters.  And many are pricey, especially Phase One Media Pro, which
would be one of the better options if one were part of a photography studio.

So I've opted for Lightroom, as was suggested by several respondents to my
earlier request.  Lightroom provides me with two things I need:  an awesome
DAM program, and updates for Adobe Camera Raw in case I should acquire new
camera equipment in the future.  I must admit I'll probably do most of my
keywording in Bridge, at least initially, because it's what I've been doing
for so long.  All the sorted photos and art work and documents will wind up
in Lightroom's catalog, however, as the catalog is easy to access and
provides useful ways to sort images and text.  Too, Lightroom has other
options that I'll find useful, such as those for exporting to websites.  I
found the Lightroom interface to be mostly intuitive, perhaps because I'm
so familiar with Photoshop.  What I needed explaining was also
comparatively easy to find.  Finally, Adobe is probably going to be around
for some time to come, and won't be selling it's software to the highest
bidder.

I must admit I debated Adobe's latest offer to photographers to acquire
Photoshop CC, Lightroom, and Behance for $10 a month (Adobe has met quite a
bit of resistance to offering Photoshop only as part of the the cloud), but
I decided to just buy Lightroom outright.  This isn't a Luddite thing, but
rather a financial one.  $120 a year doesn't sound like much unless one is
retired and relearning the meaning of "frugal."  I have until the end of
the year to change my mind.

Thanks to all who made suggestions,
Bruce

--