I have used a Microtek with an 11x17 bed for many years at work.  The
bigger things were scanned on an Epson with a full tabloid size bed.  Both
were expensive though the Microtek has come down significantly in price.
We use Silverfast as our scanning software, great for batch scanning
and makes it easy to calibrate everything. Truthfully, unless your scanning
a lot at tabloid size I think its easier to photograph the odd big piece.