I'm pretty sure your understanding is correct. And that law isn't likely to change anytime soon. ; )

And... as a tangent - I've donated work a few times to organizations who told me it would be 'good exposure' and that I'd get commissions or other sales from it. Never happened. So now I only donate work that a) did not represent a significant outlay of my time and b) did not cost me more than what I would be willing and able to donate to the organization anyway (so, no framed, matted pieces, for example).

Kathy G