Yes, this fine art/orginal art pursuit is complex. I've been told that
some galleries may be willing to deduct the price of framing and then
split the rest of the sale according to normal percentages. Probably
this is mostly with galleries who provide ongoing representation
rather than an occasional juried show, however.

I have finally decided that if I can find a gallery that really is
able to sell my work on a regular basis then they deserve the 40-50%.
That's because all the entering and schlepping around from show to
show eats up lots of time and money (entry fees, gas, bridge toll,
time to drop off, pick up, go to receptions. . . in addition to the
art materials and framing). As you say, society needs art. Art has
been around since we lived in caves. Humans have always had art. It
feeds our soul. But it surely is a challenge to keep putting it out
there. And it is really bizarre that artists, who are among the
poorest in terms of compensation for effort made, are so often tapped
for entry fees, donations, etc.

Back to the letter I got: I have e-mailed the lady specified to handle
inquiries and very politely yet pointedly told her that the wording is
misleading and that artists receive no tax benefit from donating their
work other than the deduction of materials taken in the year they
purchase the supplies (which they already get). I have suggested that
next time the auction committee sends out a similar letter that they
reword it to indicate that a portion of the donation "may" be tax
deductible and to consult their tax advisor for details. Needless to
say (I think it's needless), I will not be donating my art to their
auction. . .

Lynette