My reference is a book by the USDA - 'Caterpillars of the Eastern Forests', publication FHTET-96-34, Nov. 1997, by David L. Wagner, Valerie Giles, Richard C. Reardon and Michael L. McManus.

The closest one I could find is Acronicta afflicta  - Afflicted Dagger Moth. Says it feeds on oaks and walnuts.
Here's the key: "Light red-brown, brown, tan, or occasionally green with black spatulate seta to either side of darkened middorsal stripe. Setae along sides of body white, soft, and relatively long."

Then I checked Bug Guide.net for verification. Does this look close?:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/579729/bgimage

One image I found on the web showed the head darker. Seems there's a lot of variability in the color, maybe from what instar stage it is and what it feeds on?

Another possibility is the Acronicta haesitata complex, but those have white markings on the  back. They also feed on oaks.

KG