Back on line  now.

My husband is English. And it's a shorter, friendlier, phrase for "thanks" or "thank you". It's also used as  "ta very much".  YES, it's also used for "goodbye" but usually with an unspoken "thanks" thrown in. Just a casual friendly saying, usually to people you like, and is also old, so it may have been more common for our older populations. Ben's family, young and old, say it all the time.

It may have origins in the west of England, where I hear it most, but also I've heard and used it through Great Britain.

Yes, I guess ta ta, used as good bye is a friendly version.

Cheers, (another casual, friendly way of saying Thanks Y'all, from my native tongue)
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325
Hereford, AZ 85615