You *should* feel put upon. I think that's taking the business of art just a bridge too far. ; )

I was juried into several galleries in recent years and felt pleased at the time. After all, good exposure in a downtown situation, etc, etc, right? Well, I didn't really think through the $$ side of it: I did the work, spent substantial $$ matting, framing and shipping the work, and, when sold, the galleries got 40 or 50% depending on the venue. I appreciate that they provide space, staff and promotion but when it costs me at least $100-200 to frame a piece, and the gallery discourages me from sending anything that retails at more than $300-$400 (for a original; prints much less), after the dozen or so hours invested in each piece, it kind of discourages me from pursuing the 'fine art' aspect of my work. Having said that, the business of fine art has always been difficult and uneven for so many. But if you take art - in all its many forms - out of civilization, then we have something like the apocryphal Winston Churchill quote when someone suggested that he cut funding to the arts to pay for Britain’s war: “Then what would we be fighting for?”
The arts really do make a difference. I'm not always sure how, but I try to keep with it. -K