For my two cents I have had the high end scanners Epson 10K photo stylus pro with transparency. It was approx. $2400 5-6 years ago, and I've used Silverfast since 1999. I think as long as you are using a good color calibration software to ensure monitor, printer and scanner are in agreement that is the number one factor. Also I'm not sure that a high end scanner is relevant if you are only doing a few items for one job. It may be smarter to bundle the cost of scanning by an excellent prepress service rather than pay the expense. I would do the math and make sure I could recoup the expense.

I typically try to keep high end equipment between 7-10 years. It seems the softwares and OS are the biggest factors for the upgrades and not necessarily the equipment. See previous comments. Make sure on big purchases they are upgradeable as well as you can purchase extended warranties. For low cost equipment you may find its cheaper to replace.

Good luck. Deb

Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

From: Gail Guth <[log in to unmask]>;
To: <[log in to unmask]>;
Subject: Re: [SCIART] High end scanners - thoughts?
Sent: Tue, Sep 3, 2013 1:03:58 AM

Keep in mind that large scale displays usually don't need to be more than 150 dpi, if they will be viewed from a few++ feet away. At normal viewing distance, anything more is generally overkill, the difference won't be noted. Certainly it depends on the intended use.

I have a Mircotek i800, with a legal size scan bed (8.5 x14); I'm very happy with it except that when i moved to Mountain Lion, it wasn't compatible and Microtek isn't bothering to make any new drivers for this model (at least so far). So I have to use my old laptop to run the thing, and it's not that old (only a few years). Keep future model support in mind when buying!

Gail

Sent from my iPad