I use the laCie rugged hard drives to take back and forth to school; bought a case logic case as protection.  Never had a problem with them, registered with LaCie.  Keep school work on the Rugged drive, back up on desktop.  Have purchased mine new at Best Buy (will do price matches), also at my local Mac Store here in Athens, GA.

Mac Mall also has good prices.  La Cie was highly recommended to me when I bought my first Mac, using them ever since.

Best,

"OC" Carlisle