Natalya,

I would concur with both the above posts (which I've left attached for reference.)  Smaller scanners have the highest resolution and the lowest price.  Here, for example, are the specifications for the Microtek i800, which has a legal-sized bed.
http://store2.microtek.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=136

Many of the larger scanners that aren't exactly cheap have a lower resolution, at three times the price.
http://store2.microtek.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=154

(You can see the whole list of Microtek pro scanners at this url:  http://store2.microtek.com/shop/index.php?cPath=21  )

Epson's pro model legal-sized scanner has higher resolution and only costs $1000.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=B11B178061

But you can get the same resolution in an 8.5x11 scanner for less than $200.
http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=B11B189011

I have the V500 and its scan quality is good.  I find the standard Epson software versatile enough for my purposes, something I can't say for the standard Microtek software.

Be very careful about spending $2000 on something you will only use once in a while.  As mentioned, check out prepress scanning options for larger work, and/or a local professional photograper.  Photographing artwork can be tricky and most pro photographers will have polarizers for both lights and camera, which completely eliminates any reflections.  In the long run using outside services when needed can save money unless you are routinely scanning work larger than 8.5 x 11 or 14.  Even there, at least to my mind, using the smaller scanner and zipping together partial scans in Photoshop would seem the best option.