It might depend on the size you want to scan, Natalya.  Currently you can find 6400ppi scanners for $200 or less.  I have an Epson V500 that I bought for $150.  The only thing I don't like about it is it won't scan 4x5 negatives or transparencies; for that one needs the Epsen V700 at $700.  However, you should note these are all 8.5 x 11 scanners.  If you want something that scans larger images the price rises very quickly.  The Epson Expression 11000XL costs $2300 and only scans 12 x 17 inches.  The price goes up from there, although Microtek might have something less expensive.

If you go to www.bhphotovideo.com and type "scanners" into the search line you'll have the option of selecting the size and resolution you wish in the left column.  12x17 is the largest they stock.

I suspect you'll discover this is one reason many artists use photos to convert their larger pieces of artwork to digital bits.  That can get expensive as well if you need very high resolution images, which would involve 4x5 film scanned at a minimum of 2400ppi.  Others might have suggestions for scanning larger work in sections and stitching them, but I know what a pain that can be.

Best of luck,