Bruce,

Do you have a picture of your find?

"OC" Carlisle

On Sep 4, 2013, at 7:21 PM, Bruce Bartrug <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Yesterday my incurably curious grandson was turning over leaves and rocks and found a caterpillar I've not seen before.  Nor can I find it in various guides.  Physically it resembled the caterpillar of Polygrammate hebraeicum, the lovely moth called the Hebrew due it's black markings on white wings resembling a Hebrew character.  Only this caterpillar had a fairly smooth red body (darkish red), a black head, and two rows of very small black dots on both sides of the abdomen.  From each dot grew a single seta;  the setae were long but thin and sparse.  Here's a reference to the P. hebraeicum caterpillar from The Bug Guide, on line:  http://bugguide.net/node/view/320205 .

Any idea what it could be?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce Bartrug
Nobleboro, Maine, USA