Thanks Bruce!

Facebook's main aim with these new rules is both less sinister and more
"what the hell?" in my opinion.

A lot of what they are doing under these terms plays out like this
hypothetical.

   - I read a Slate article about let's say, humanities education, through
   a link a Linda put up on her feed. I click "Like" on her post about the
   article.
   - Bruce logs into Facebook, and in his feed there's now a link to Slate,
   saying something like, "Your friend Glendon Likes Slate". But the image and
   picture are not necessarily the one I just read from Linda. It could be a
   more up-to-date article Slate has posted. And maybe something I don't agree
   with or like at all, like an article called "Why Republicans are right
   about Obama" or something.

So if you have your art on a Facebook Page, and someone clicks like on it,
a different piece of art from your fan page may appear in other people's
feeds advertising the Page.

It is supposed to encourage browsing. You're friends with these people,
presumably you have similar interests. Where it falls apart is in showing
content that is not exactly what you clicked Like on. I may enjoy Bruce's
bird painting and abhor his landscapes (I don't, just giving an example.)
So Facebook has been called out on this in a number of places since they
made this change, because it's not really working.

Yes: the language sounds more sinister than that and they *could* do other
things with your work. But basically they want to repackage and
distribute/re-size and share links with your friends based on your
activity.

I don't think it's a big deal, but it's an awkward system at the moment.

Glendon

--
Glendon Mellow
Art in Awe of Science