Find me on
Symbiartic, the art+science blog
on the Scientific American Blog Network

On 13 September 2013 10:44, Mieke Roth <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

That basically means that you have to ask your friends “did you really like this specific thing? “ every time you see a random like. Something that sounds to me as being counterproductive. The bonds between friends in facebook will become less tight as a result I think.

Mieke

Van: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Namens Glendon Mellow
Verzonden: vrijdag 13 september 2013 16:36
Aan: [log in to unmask]
Onderwerp: Re: [SCIART] New Terms of Service for Facebook- Translation needed

Thanks Bruce!

Facebook's main aim with these new rules is both less sinister and more "what the hell?" in my opinion.

A lot of what they are doing under these terms plays out like this hypothetical.

  • I read a Slate article about let's say, humanities education, through a link a Linda put up on her feed. I click "Like" on her post about the article.
  • Bruce logs into Facebook, and in his feed there's now a link to Slate, saying something like, "Your friend Glendon Likes Slate". But the image and picture are not necessarily the one I just read from Linda. It could be a more up-to-date article Slate has posted. And maybe something I don't agree with or like at all, like an article called "Why Republicans are right about Obama" or something.

So if you have your art on a Facebook Page, and someone clicks like on it, a different piece of art from your fan page may appear in other people's feeds advertising the Page.

It is supposed to encourage browsing. You're friends with these people, presumably you have similar interests. Where it falls apart is in showing content that is not exactly what you clicked Like on. I may enjoy Bruce's bird painting and abhor his landscapes (I don't, just giving an example.) So Facebook has been called out on this in a number of places since they made this change, because it's not really working.

Yes: the language sounds more sinister than that and they could do other things with your work. But basically they want to repackage and distribute/re-size and share links with your friends based on your activity.

I don't think it's a big deal, but it's an awkward system at the moment.

Glendon

--
Glendon Mellow
Art in Awe of Science