Linda,

Have been using a tablet on & off for a number of years.  I use it as if I am drawing, in front of me.  At school, I have more table space, place it in front.  At home, less table space, put it in my lap.  Never used the tablet off to the side.  Have the mouse handy to use if needed somewhere else on the table.

 I have also seen my classmates work on a tablet sitting in their lap.  That's comfortable to me as well.  Hope this helps.  When I bought my first tablet, bought the high end one.  Will be upgrading soon to a larger size so I don't feel like I am drawing in the palm of my hand, LOL!

Best,

"OC" Carlisle