Hi all,
I received this query about Western book covers, and know nothing about the topic. Can anyone suggest anything that would help this guy out?

"In a former career I was a used book dealer, concentrating on The American West. During that time I  observed that many Western novels from ~1900 to ~1930 had very well-illustrated decorative embossed covers.  This seemingly neglected aspect of book art has become a collecting interest (now about 100 titles), but I have been able to find little in the way of bibliographic reference.

Can you  refer me to articles or books or knowledgeable people on the subject?

Has this topic been discussed at previous WLA meetings?"

Best,
Tom

---
Tom Lynch
Associate Professor
Chair, Undergraduate Studies
Editor, Western American Literature
Department of English
202 Andrews Hall
P.O. Box 880333
University of Nebraska, Lincoln
Lincoln, NE  68588-0333
"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."
-Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

New Books:

The Bioregional Imagination: Literature, Ecology, Place
Artifacts & Illuminations: Critical Essays on Loren Eiseley

Homepage
Faculty Page