you know the thing about a hobby is that you have time to do things.  There
isn't any rush on any of this. Which is why it is fun.

locate the wood as waste wood.  have a lumber mill across the river who
GAVE us massive amounts of edge bark cuts for the William Marshal event.
All we had to do was come get it.  We got three trailers full. That would
make a quality Friday to Sunday char of quality hardwood.

A second weekend or so would be the construction of the oven. Two day job
max.  There is another weekend.

A day trip to Ironton to get the ore. make that a third saturday.

A Great Smelt Weekend after all things have been assembled and gathered in
one place.

And a fifth weekend to actually work the resulting iron on the anvil.

And if it takes a year to get everybody and everything together, who cares?
 those who are truly desirous will be involved over several years if need
be. Those who expect to get it all done in a day aren't fully vested in the
total experience.

Gerald is STILL working on the Great Machine how many years later?   I am
in year one of a five year orchard/vinyard/garden project.

 We joke about sheep to shawl projects, but it takes nine months to grow
the wool, another day to wash and comb it. Another two days to dye and dry.
 Two to three days MINIMUM to spin, and another week to warp the loom.  Add
at least a week to weave and a day to sew.

If you do all this in your spare time, it adds up to several months at
least.  Which is why the result is so impressive. True craftsmen recognize
the amount of effort that goes into the total project.

iow, IF we started gathering everything in the next couple weeks, we would
be ready to actually work the homemade iron at Metal and Glass next
September.  It would be a nice comparison between "periodesque" iron and
modern steel.

Franz