It took me a month to dig the 3 foot deep 3 foot round hole with
vertical sides.  The wood was obtained from my windbreaks, and pretty
much it was the entire summer's "Hobby" time.  After the wood is
carefully stacked in the pit and there must also be a chiminey it takes
about two to three days to burn and longer to cool off. open too soon
and poof, your charcoal is instantly on fire and gone in a very fast
very hot fire.  The smoke is also very

vertical

and so a general event would have people complaining