That little brazer... has evolved to a large interest in glue.  I think
(at least I have been told)  that fish glue may have been used for
arrows in those of the Mary Roze.  Hide glue and cheese glue will not
glue bone-They will peal out from between slices like cellophane, , but
fish glue does and does it well.  I had suspected it would work for
arrows but not tried it yet.  Attached is my wright-up on glue.  I hope
it helps you in some way.  I would love to have some of the ore you
mention.  I think about a 5 gallon bucket full would be needed to do a
batch.  I don't have numbers bur 100 lb ore at 60% iron by weight might
make 30 lbs of bloom which would not be all iron.  I just found out
tonight that there is a yahoo group dedicated to smelting, and so after
2-3 years of wishing, all kinds of info is avalancheing in. I highly
recommend a a book called:

  The Mastery and Uses of Fire in Antiquity Paperback By J.E. Rehder

http://www.amazon.com/The-Mastery-Uses-Fire-Antiquity/dp/0773530746

You will learn a lot about smelting there.

Master Gerald.

  <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } -->