Do you have period documentation for this bowl condenser of collecting saltpeter?

On 10/7/2013 11:51 PM, john heitman wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
You mine sulfur out of the ground. The easiest way to find it is by smell.  the stuff shows up in wells with a REALLY bad odor.  most often they are salt springs as well.

Its a nice pretty yellow powder.

Potasium nitrate is made by pouring this morning's urine over last nights ashes, turning a bowl over the slush, and allowing it to evaporate. At the end of the day, turn the bowl right side up and collect the crystals that have formed on the surface (use a pottery bowl!). the crystals are the salt peter you seek.

have you become amazed at the ingenuity of the alchemist yet?  I mean, who in their right mind would have thought to do that?

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM, Stefan li Rous <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On Oct 4, 2013, at 10:36 AM, john heitman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> It's also for making gun powder.  It is EXTREMELY fine, and falls apart at the touch if cooked long enough.
>
> Franz

Oh! Slaps head. I should have thought of that use.

So where would they have gotten sulfur from in period times?

I know that you can get potassium nitrate from things like bat guano, although I'm not sure what processing is involved.

Stefan

--------
THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          [log in to unmask]
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:  http://www.florilegium.org ****