Vannoccio Biringuccio's Pirotechnica (1540) and Agricola's De Re Metallica (1556) both cover some late period ways of either charcoal and/ or saltpeter.  Saltpeter was made with a mixture of lime, ashes, and nitrogen bearing manures which were leached like ashes were for lye and then boiled down until the liquid dropped out saltpeter crystals.  I haven't followed the web trails recently presented here but I question (but don't discredit) some of the simpler methods presented.  Saltpeter is one of those alchemical processes I am wishing to do and I have made quicklime and have sieved manure from my old barn which await processing as well as a stock of ashes.  I have not had quicklime or time as of yet to do the processing.