I should have also mentioned the "they" would be the early iron
smelters, and also methods discussed Likely evolved.  By 1500'S methods
of assaying definantly knvolved very careful weighing of materials- both
the ore and the end product.  Your point is well made and certainly our
medieval  time extends well beyond the "EARLY" iron smelters.