I should have also mentioned the "they" would be the early iron smelters, and also methods discussed Likely evolved.  By 1500'S methods of assaying definantly knvolved very careful weighing of materials- both the ore and the end product.  Your point is well made and certainly our medieval  time extends well beyond the "EARLY" iron smelters.