I posted on the EK Metalsmiths list asking if anyone knew of sources for iron ore. Here are excerpts of the replies. Sorry for this being a bit rough, but I get that list in digest form and copied these from the digest.

Stefan

=======
Re: Looking for a source of iron ore
Tue Oct 1, 2013 8:43 am (PDT) . Posted by:"Mark Feldmann" yvanwolvesbane222

Hey there, Master Stefan-
I believe you are referring to Master Willem the Smith. I don't remember what Kingdom he's from but he & his friends have done this at several Pennsics over the last 10 years. I don't know if they did it every time, but at least once I think they burned down a cubic yard of peat to get a good bloom of about fist-sized or so. Don't know what they made from it. I can think of few things that I would treasure as much as a knife made at Pennsic, from iron smelted down at Pennsic.
Of course, that might just be me, but I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that.

Yvan Wolvesbane
=======
Re: Looking for a source of iron ore
Tue Oct 1, 2013 9:03 am (PDT) . Posted by:"[log in to unmask]" carowynsilveroak

Greetings,

I too had the same problem.....so I took a strong magnet on a large stick to the local river.

I also collect black sand whenever I'm at any beach, and sift out the magnetite. (Use a magnet wrapped in a plastic bag to pull it out, and turning the bag inside-out insta-collects it for you!)

Hmmm....whereabouts in Calontir? Birmingham AL was one of the main hematite locations during the industrial era, and there is still TONS of material all over. I'm trying to get a sample because it's their state rock, but if he can contact a scadian there, he should be able to pull it out of their backyard. Almost all the rocks there have some iron in them.

-Carowyn
=======
Re: Looking for a source of iron ore
Tue Oct 1, 2013 12:43 pm (PDT) . Posted by:"Daniel Kretchmar" irontree_works_inc

I may have a source for wisconsin bog iron.m I'll talk to Gerald since I go
to Lilies anyway.
=======
Re: Looking for a source of iron ore
Tue Oct 1, 2013 1:50 pm (PDT) . Posted by:"Dan Scheid" damales_redbeard

I still have 700 # of ore from my 3 smelts bought a ton and sold half. I got mine from a shipyard they use it for ballast on big cargo ships took some talking to get someone to sell me only a ton.

Dan Scheid /AKA Damales Redbeard O.L. in SCA
=======

--------
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris