Yes and no. Apparently many European acorns don't have as much tannin as the American ones. And I consider the soaking to be a pretty straight forward process. Do it, and you get out some of the bitterness. Do it more and get rid of more of it. etc.  I find it more amazing when you have to create a useless middle product and then process it more to make something edible.

I wasn't aware that the tannins had a bad effect on the kidneys. Isn't there tannin in tea?

nuts-msg (140K) 3/ 6/12 Nuts, acorns, nut flours in medieval foods.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD/nuts-msg.html

Maybe I should separate out the acorn info into its own file?

Stefan

--------
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris