For those interested in the book Master Gerald mentioned, I will warn you
that it is a fairly intensive scientific and engineering laden work.  The
author approaches his subject as though publishing for a professional
journal. It is written on the Master's thesis level, regularly making
reference to other research papers in the discussion of the chapter topic.

While it is a small book, it is NOT a light read. It is a technical report
on a series of experiments attempting to recreate results by replicating
performance via remodeled equipment.

If you are not comfortable reading for hours on end about (air flow rate) x
(carbon % content) x (chunk size) / (ore mineral % values) x (oven
dimension configuration) vs teuere placement/ stack height, this is NOT a
book you will finish. It is HIGHLY technical, exactly the opposite of the
PBS episode which started this conversation.

It was written on a professional metalurgist level. I have four semesters
of Material Science engineering studies, and even I had trouble following
at times.

be warned. The hardback copy runs $80 on Amazon.

Franz