For those interested in the book Master Gerald mentioned, I will warn you that it is a fairly intensive scientific and engineering laden work.  The author approaches his subject as though publishing for a professional journal. It is written on the Master's thesis level, regularly making reference to other research papers in the discussion of the chapter topic.

While it is a small book, it is NOT a light read. It is a technical report on a series of experiments attempting to recreate results by replicating performance via remodeled equipment.

If you are not comfortable reading for hours on end about (air flow rate) x (carbon % content) x (chunk size) / (ore mineral % values) x (oven dimension configuration) vs teuere placement/ stack height, this is NOT a book you will finish. It is HIGHLY technical, exactly the opposite of the PBS episode which started this conversation.

It was written on a professional metalurgist level. I have four semesters of Material Science engineering studies, and even I had trouble following at times.

be warned. The hardback copy runs $80 on Amazon.

Franz

On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 2:26 PM, Stefan li Rous <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Greetings Master Gerald,

On Oct 2, 2013, at 4:00 AM, Jerry Harder <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> That little brazer…

What "little brazer"?
Was this an A&S project?
Is there a write-up on this that would be of interest to others?
Would you be willing to let me consider adding it to the Florilegium? :-)

> has evolved to a large interest in glue.  I think (at least I have been told)  that fish glue may have been used for arrows in those of the Mary Roze.  Hide glue and cheese glue will not glue bone-They will peal out from between slices like cellophane, , but fish glue does and does it well.  I had suspected it would work for arrows but not tried it yet.

Although it sounds like you've already done a lot of research on glue, here is what I've collected over the years on period glues. Perhaps it might be of use.
glues-msg (33K) 8/ 4/99 Medieval glues and pastes. Recipes.

>  Attached is my wright-up on glue.  I hope it helps you in some way.

Argh. I think the list stripped out the attachment. Could you please send me a copy at: [log in to unmask] ?

>  I would love to have some of the ore you mention.

I posted a request on the EK Metalsmiths list as to whether anyone had a source.

> I think about a 5 gallon bucket full would be needed to do a batch.  I don't have numbers bur 100 lb ore at 60% iron by weight might make 30 lbs of bloom which would not be all iron.  I just found out tonight that there is a yahoo group dedicated to smelting, and so after 2-3 years of wishing, all kinds of info is avalancheing in.

That seems to be about the volume I remember seeing folks use. I have no idea what the percentage of iron in their ore was.

Stefan

--------
THLord Stefan li Rous    Barony of Bryn Gwlad    Kingdom of Ansteorra
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          [log in to unmask]
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris
**** See Stefan's Florilegium files at:  http://www.florilegium.org ****