It's also for making gun powder.  It is EXTREMELY fine, and falls apart at the touch if cooked long enough.

Franz

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 12:23 PM, Debra Hense <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
It's for drawing with.  I believe it is described in one of the
treatise's in the Dover's Diverse (medieval) Arts book.  I can't
remember the name right now - but is a craftsman type of book -
describing how to make pigments, make and paint fresco's etc.