Coffee is another one:
Take inedible cherries, peel the fruit parts off and throw them away.
Let the pits dry in the sun.
Ok, then roast them in some sort of pan or oven until they're brown but not too brown.
Then grind then up and boil them in water.
Then strain out the ground up bits and throw them away.

Ready? Now drink the bitter flavored water that's left over.

Who dreams up this stuff??

~Soren