Ahhh. I cannot remember the name of the French artist who made a bunch of sketches of industries right around the beginning or just before the Industrial Rev. The mirror makers workshop is probably about as close to what you're looking for. They were the glass grinders for centuries.

Diderot!! That's his name.

I imagine other then modifications for mechanization, the process would be the same.

On Oct 14, 2013 10:39 AM, "Hall, Hayward" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Thanks Lief.  I'm not so much worried about the curve or sagitta as the precise focal point is marginally irrelevant in my case here.  I'm more concerned with how did they physically grind them.  DaVinci shows a several foot diameter grinding stone with a machine to work it across the surface. Curious if anyone has seen anything else.

From: Historical Recreation in the Kingdom of Calontir [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of David McNeal [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2013 10:38 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CALONTIR] Grinding optics

Guillaume,

The measurement of determining the curve is called a diopter. I don't know the formula to determine the exact parabolic curve you may want, but Master Craig might be able to point you in the correct direction. Mundanely he is an Eye Doctor (I can't remember if he's an Optometrist, or an Ophthalmologist). He ought to know those formulae or be able to point you in the direction for them.

Lief

P.s. If nobody pipes up with his contact info, I think I know who might have it. PM me in that circumstance. Hope this helps.