This idea is actually similar to current technology for creating lenses. I have an office that just bought a machine that has them put in a two part mold for the appropriate rx and fill it with a special liquid/gel substance that cures to create custom lenses with no grinding marks or polishing to the surface needed. It's pretty cool. They tell me the optics are superior without the micro abrasions from grinding and polishing.

Gwendolyn
Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 14, 2013, at 10:45 AM, Jim Myers <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I wonder if you could form a lens by spinning plaster of paris while it hardens to form a parabolic base mold, then use it to cast a lens…maybe also spinning the mold while the molten glass hardens in it. Don’t know if you would still need to grind such to get a suitable surface, tho.

Eringlin

From: Hall, Hayward [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2013 10:40 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CALONTIR] Grinding optics

Thanks Lief.  I'm not so much worried about the curve or sagitta as the precise focal point is marginally irrelevant in my case here.  I'm more concerned with how did they physically grind them.  DaVinci shows a several foot diameter grinding stone with a machine to work it across the surface. Curious if anyone has seen anything else.