My daughter-in-law the vet tech is not happy with the financial rewards of
what she's doing, although she very much enjoys the work.  However, she
indicated that if a tech can get certified in something like anesthesia,
radiology, intensive care, or physical therapy, and can find a job in a
larger animal hospital (read, larger city) then the money is more adequate
for keeping one in clothes and shelter.  Oneself, not the animals :).  She
also indicated that large animal training -- especially as regards horses
-- is an elite field.  Massage therapy for horses for example.

Best of luck,