Welcome to Fall! Can you believe it's October already? When you get
tired from raking leaves and carving pumpkins, come back indoors for a
rest, a cup of hot tea or cocoa (or a glass of wine!), and check out the
latest and greatest on YOUR GNSI website! <http://www.gnsi.org>

      GNSI STORE

The GNSI 2013 Journal No.3 Summer Issue
<http://www.gnsi.org/store/product/gnsi-journal-natural-science-illustration-2013-no3>
is now available for download online FREE to members!

      WORKSHOPS

*Wildlife Art & Photography Workshop-South Africa Feb 2014
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/field-trip/wildlife-art-photography-workshop-south-africa-feb-2014>
EVENT DATE:* February 7 - February 17, 2014
*COST:* $5,495 per person, double occupancy.
Experience the magic of South Africa wildlife with artist Linda Howard
Bittner. We will be hosted by Zulu Nyala, a privately owned game reserve
in Hiuhluwe off the southeastern coast of Africa...

*Costa Rica - Artistic Adventure
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/workshop/costa-rica-artistic-adventure-mindy-lighthipe-and-nancy-richmond>
with Mindy Lighthipe and Nancy Richmond
EVENT DATE:* February 4 - February 14, 2014
*COST: *$3,499; prior to September 1, 2013, discounted program price is
$3,249
The rich landscapes of Costa Rica are home to a unique and interesting
array of flora and fauna, making this the perfect setting for an
artistic adventure. ...

*Gardens and Villas of the Italian Lakes
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/field-trip/gardens-and-villas-italian-lakes>
EVENT DATE:* June 21 - June 30, 2014
*COST:* Early registration by Dec. 22, 2013, $4999; after Dec. 22, $5249
Tour the Italian Lakes! /Gardens and Villas of the Italian Lakes/ is a
June tour to Italy offered by Gretchen Halpert in conjunction with
Collette Tours and the Royal Horticultural Society. Keeping a sketch
journal on this trip is not mandatory, but mini lessons will be given to
those so inclined. Registration is now open.

      EVENTS

*GNSI-DC: The Art and Science of Data Visualization
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/meeting/gnsi-dc-art-and-science-data-visualization>
EVENT DATE:* Tuesday, October 15, 2013; 5:30 p.m. 8:00 p.m.
The GNSI-DC chapter is honored to have with us Robert Simmon, a data
visualizer from NASA, who will show us some very unique information
graphics and imagery, including that of our home planet. Don't miss this
opportunity to see some of the most beautiful scenes of Earth from a
perspective we rarely see -- from space -- and it's all made with data
from satellite. Come see how it's done!

*SONSI 2013 Presentation Day
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/conference/sonsi-2013-presentation-day>
EVENT DATE: *October 19, 2013 - 10:45am - 5:00pm
/(Please arrive between 10:30 and 10:50 a.m.; the presentations will
begin promptly at 11 a.m.)./
*LOCATION:*Production Room 2 at the Central Public Library at 120 Navy
Street in Oakville, ON.
*COST:* Free to SONSI members; non-members: $15 donation to cover
facility rental and food costs. /Space is limited!/
Those of you in or near Southern Ontario are welcome to attend the 2013
Presentation Day of the Southern Ontario Nature and Science Illustrators
(SONSI). It's a one-day mini-conference with a wide range of
presentations by SONSI members. Dinner is available (not provided) at
the Queens Head Pub by reservation when you RSVP and register for the
conference.... more:

      EXHIBIT CALL

*Wings & Water: A Juried Exhibition of 2D and 3D Art*
<http://www.gnsi.org/event/exhibit-call/wings-water-juried-exhibition-2d-and-3d-art>
*ENTRY DATES: * November 1, 2013 - January 1, 2014
*EXHIBIT DATES:* March 7 - May 6, 2014
Wings & Water: A Juried Exhibition of 2D and 3D Art is a national
exhibition exploring artists' perceptions and imagery that comes to mind
with the words wings and water, be the imagery botanicals, birds,
insects, fish, animals, water/shore environment open for interpretation.
The exhibition is offered though River Arts Inc., a non-profit
organization based in Prairie du Sac, Wisconsin dedicated to enriching,
inspiring, and educating through the arts. All artists, styles,
techniques, and media are welcomed. Please see details through CaFE
(Callforentry.org).

      BLOG

*Geoff Thompson's Award Winning Fly Photo*
<http://www.gnsi.org/blog/geoff-thompsons-award-winning-fly-photo>
Australian GNSI member Geoff Thompson's specimen photos are winning him
lots of recognition "down under". Geoff works for the Queensland Museum
& Sciencentre. He recently won several awards at the recent Australian
Institute of Medical and Biological Images Awards, including Best
Overall Biological Photo for this image. ...

/Congratulations to our GNSI compatriot!/

      FORUMS

*Scientific Illustration Program - CSU Monterey*
<https://www.gnsi.org/forum/science-illustration-education/scientific-illustration-program-csu-monterey>
I am in the process of applying to the scientific illustration graduate
program at CSU Monterey Bay. Have any of you completed this program?

*Phipps Conservatory - Botanical Art Instructor*
<https://www.gnsi.org/forum/business/phipps-conservatory-botanical-art-instructor>
Phipps Conservatory and Botanical Gardens is looking for an independent
contractor to instruct their Botanical Drawing I, II, and III as part of
its Botanical Art and Illustration certificate program..../(Members Only
Forum)/

So, GNSI Friends, that's the latest and the greatest as we launch into
Fall! Stop by the GNSI website often to see whats new!
Regards,
Gail Guth
GNSI Communications Director

--