OK, I knew about glyphs, so why didn't I think of them yesterday? That worked, thanks, Britt.

I had already done the labor-intensive, number-by-number way, but the actual proper fractions look far better. Happily, although this is a cookbook, there aren't that many fractions — it's more stories than recipes.

thanks everyone for your advice!
Gail