I've worked (never full time) in wildlife rehabilitation for over 30
years and can attest to the lack of a living wage for doing so, but also
that it's tremendously rewarding and interesting and satisfying when you
can help a little (or big) wild creature back into the wild. There are
paying jobs in the field, but they often require degrees in wildlife
management or education as well as some science background. But I've
found that at times when I had to be working in some job I didn't love
to pay the rent, or there weren't enough art jobs to do so, the wild
feathered and furred kept me sane. So maybe something with animals
doesn't have to be full time to soothe one's soul? Best of luck to her.

Katherine Gyorfi