I've worked (never full time) in wildlife rehabilitation for over 30 years and can attest to the lack of a living wage for doing so, but also that it's tremendously rewarding and interesting and satisfying when you can help a little (or big) wild creature back into the wild. There are paying jobs in the field, but they often require degrees in wildlife management or education as well as some science background. But I've found that at times when I had to be working in some job I didn't love to pay the rent, or there weren't enough art jobs to do so, the wild feathered and furred kept me sane. So maybe something with animals doesn't have to be full time to soothe one's soul? Best of luck to her.

Katherine Gyorfi