I have done a lot of government agency contracts for graphics for exhibits. The artwork is usually digitally placed in an exhbibit so there is no opportunity to "sign the back".

Graphically a separate floating typeset signature attribution "Illustration by....." does stand out on the page. I have found that a less obtrusive hand-written signature tucked into the artwork, or discreetly along the side, where aesthetically appropriate will often be overlooked and accepted.

It depends on the type of publication. If in a magazine/newsletter/or some types of graphics boards it looks fine to have the credit line away from the artwork and typeset, but only if the overall graphic design is set up for it, so it blends in to the layout. When it stands out, yes, agencies get a bit freaky. I think it's a hold over when illustrators did a lot of work for hire, and there were no signatures. I have always strived to tuck my initials into the artwork, but mostly I just discreetly hand-write it somewhere close to the art. If it's in a publication, I always negotiate a typeset credit, where appropriate, same for web presentations.

Just my two cents,
Linda
Linda M. Feltner Artist, LLC
P.O. Box 325