Ah, Paypal.

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 5:17 PM, Deborah Shaw <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
It will be interesting to see what happens on the security front. I've always had to have super-duper security, firewalls, etc., due to client needs (hospitals, medical, HIPAA, courts, government, you-name-it).

In the past, I've never been able to get an answer from clients' IT departments about the cloud, network connections and other obvious vulnerabilities -- although my contracts demand that I lock my file cabinets (!!).

Hopefully they'll get some white-hat hackers in there immediately to get us some answers. It feels like this is just the beginning...

Deb

On Oct 4, 2013, at 2:05 PM, Frank Ippolito wrote:

> yes, not resetting your password on the cloud is not even going to be an option. as they suggested, if you use that same password elsewhere, then modify those as well.
>
> the real concern here is that these programs are all network-aware. and upon install they change computer settings to exclude them from firewall security. there is likely to be hooks written into the code for future features that far surpass the current interaction between program and the OS. if hackers locate and write exploits for these, then they might be able to gain control of computers that are running the program and are connected to a network. I suspect adobe will have to hire some skilled hackers to spend time with the software to see what vulnerabilities might be buried inside.
>
> -frank
>
> On 10/4/2013 4:49 PM, Deborah Shaw wrote:
>> There's also an article in the NY Times: http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/10/04/technology/adobe-announces-security-breach.html?from=homepage
>>
>> > From what I'm seeing, they're thinking a lot of the source code has been hacked for a NUMBER of their products, which opens the possibility of future security breaches (my limited understanding).
>>
>> I'm NOT a happy camper; I eat, live, breathe Adobe products 'round the clock, not to mention paying for my Cloud installments with a credit card. I've read suggestions that we go through and change all of our passwords everywhere.
>>
>> Sigh.
>>
>> Deb
>>

>> On Oct 4, 2013, at 12:09 PM, Frank Ippolito wrote:
>>
>>> hey all,
>>>
>>> many of us live and die using adobe's products. I received an email this AM from the mothership detailing a breach at their web server. although the immediate question referred to whether unencrypted credit card details had been compromised. they say they don't think so, but coincidentally the card I used for paying installments to creative cloud got hacked in september. the attack took place in or before august.
>>>
>>> but a bigger question is whether their source code has gotten out. if so, there is a possibility that products like acrobat may be at risk if there are any weaknesses that can be teased out of them. keeping software patched and up to date is going to be more than a gentle suggestion going forward.
>>>
>>> details:
>>>

>>> http://www.informationweek.com/security/attacks/adobe-customer-security-compromised-7-fa/240162255?cid=NL_IWK_Daily_240162255
>>>
>>> -frank

Bruce Bartrug