I've not had that experience, but I'm sure it's more than possible.  At least no one could get my credit card number -- unless PayPal was hacked to obtain the back-up credit card I have on file with them.  That said, I do have a card I only use on line:  one from Capitol One, a company that seems truly interested in fraud.  They've interrupted sales from stolen info, and sent me new cards.  It's the same card I use for backup on PayPal.