Natalya- I had the same thought as Linda - try to fit it stylistically into the piece so that it doesn't become a design element of its own but has all the information - name © and year.

good luck!
-Clara

Clara Richardson

On Oct 3, 2013, at 6:07 PM, Smith Will (Toowong) <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

I think illustrators should push the line that illustrations with provenance are of more value. Surely a museum would appreciate that. Maybe a coloured line, the same colour as the base of the illustration with the credit line would work.

Will Smith
Projet Officer (Botanical Imaging)
Queensland Herbarium
Science Delivery
Department of Science, IT, Innovation and the Arts (DSITIA)

Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt Coot-tha
Mt Coot-tha Road, Toowong, Queensland, Australia 4066
Phone: (07) 38969508

From: SciArt-L Discussion List-for Natural Science Illustration- [mailto:SCIART-[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Natalya Zahn
Sent: Friday, 4 October 2013 1:42 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [SCIART] Credit lines

Hi friends,

For those of you that regularly do illustration for the interpretive museum and exhibit market, I was wondering what your thoughts are on credit lines within artwork.

It's obviously very important that work be attributed - and that the line actually be legible! and it's one thing for the client to agree to that in theory, but  have you ever had a client balk when they actually see a typeset line of "Illustration by…" nested into a beautiful piece of artwork? I'd rather it not have to be there either, from a purely aesthetic point of view - but being mysterious makes it rather hard to earn a consistent living!

I'm working through a contract and defining these options and my client doesn't like the way the proposed typeset credit line (which is small, discreet, typical lower right corner of a white page with entirely hand-drawn artwork floated above) is the only "digital" looking part of the panel (we're currently in R&D sketch phase).

Thoughts?

And thank you!
-Natalya

The contents of this electronic message and any attachments are intended only for the addressee and may contain privileged or confidential information. They may only be used for the purposes for which they were supplied. If you are not the addressee, you are notified that any transmission, distribution, downloading, printing or photocopying of the contents of this message or attachments is strictly prohibited.
The privilege of confidentiality attached to this message and attachments is not waived, lost or destroyed by reason of mistaken delivery to you. If you receive this message in error please notify the sender by return e-mail or telephone.

Please note: the Department of Science, Information Technology, Innovation and the Arts carries out automatic software scanning, filtering and blocking of E-mails and attachments (including emails of a personal nature) for detection of viruses, malicious code, SPAM, executable programs or content it deems unacceptable. All reasonable precautions will be taken to respect the privacy of individuals in accordance with the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld). Personal information will only be used for official purposes, e.g. monitoring Departmental Personnel's compliance with Departmental Policies. Personal information will not be divulged or disclosed to others, unless authorised or required by Departmental Policy and/or law.