Hi Patricia,
Your niece might want to contact her local zoo about work experience positions or career advice. Zoos now—and especially in the future—are becoming less entertainment and more conservation research and outreach orgainizations. There will be more positions as education facilitators as this evolves. Also, a lot of the animal keepers are also involved with field work in research programs (at least in the Melbourne Zoo - Aust). All zoo positions are popular and competitive but the work environment is really good, filled with people who are passionate about what they do.  -Beth
Beth Croce, CMI
medical artist and director, Bioperspective.com
biomedical art, illustration & jewelry