Heterodox Economics Newsletter

Issue 155 November 18, 2013 web pdf Heterodox Economics Directory

Within the last weeks I have found that the combination of newsletter-editing and busy-conference-travelling is disturbingly pressing. While I seriously hope that this is only a casual observation and no first sign pointing to an "iron law of newsletter editing", it was worth all the efforts and I spent a great time at both, the annual conference of EAEPE in Paris as well as the Hamburg congress on pluralist economics.

The latter conference was held in German and organized by a network of pluralistically oriented groups of students, which has been constantly growing with respect to size and expertise over the last few years. You can find their (German) website here, in case you are interested in their work. The activities of these students are paralleled by their colleagues from Manchester, who managed to ignite a debate on the narrow-minded state of economics. The respective discussion even reached national (UK) media, as is evidenced by the respective entry in our "Heterodox Economics in the Media"-section. It is great to see that real-world economics matters – at least to students. So, keep up the good work!

Another sign of progress comes in the form of the current subscription count of the Heterodox Economics Newsletter, which now totals more than 5.000 subscribers. However, while this is surely good news, the main task of the Newsletter is to supply rather specialized information on academic events and current research. While the newsletter only rarely directly contributes to increasing the visibility of alternative economic thinking in the general public, I am particularly happy to see www.understandingthecrisis.net finally online. This website compiles and visualizes a series of arguments on the current economic crisis. Its main goal in is to tell an alternative story about the crisis as compared to what we are told by Mainstream Media. I think this tool could be an interesting asset for promoting a critical approach to economic theory and policy in the context of the financial and economic crisis. If you like it, please feel free to share it, maybe also outside academic circles.

In sum, there are some good news to tell. And even more news are provided below.

All the Best!

Jakob

© public domain

Table of contents