In 20+ years of being online, I have found that the concept that information should be freely available and widely distributed is a Good Thing.

Hence, I have found that having a group posting to a group is also a good thing. If people don't want to read it, they can hit delete. And since the Yahoo group is going to be not a discussion group, but merely a dispenser of information group, there's no concern about debate on that group.

Furthermore, having said that, the concept of official distribution of information over only an official list versus official information distributed over unofficial lists is really a pointless discussion. I have, in my many offices (since we're using chronology to explain experience) sent information ex officio (or ex cathedra) out to unofficial lists all the time. There's no real reason for an "official" source of news when we have a bunch of "unofficial" ones where official people can distribute information officially. All a separate group does it make it harder for new people and experienced people to find official information.

And sorry, Hrothgar, I'm still a top-poster.

Gabriel