Congratulations, Kezia!  And thank you, Ingeborg, for this lovely scroll text.

D^
This message was composed by typing with my thumbs.

----- Reply message -----
From: "Ingeborg Ulfsdottyr" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [CALONTIR] Kezia's Cross
Date: Sat, Nov 2, 2013 11:41 pm

Kezia, Baroness Lonely Tower, today became a member of the Order of the Calon Cross.  Here is her scroll text:

We greet you, woman, praise your name;
How pleasant to the ear, how sweet it is to say!
It would not deserve its fame,
Had you not made it good and kind, as is your way.
With quiet diligence and cheer
For thirty years you've worked at small heroic things
Such as the Twelfth Night tokens dear;
You made three hundred cords of finger-braided strings.
Or when a teacher failed to show
at Lilies War to lead a class you'd hoped to take,
Instead of just complaining, no,
You taught related things for other students' sake.
And here we'll mention one more work
Though many are your services within this vein.
A daunting task you do not shirk
Is keeping husband and your people mostly sane.
The Cross demands a guileless mind,
And never glory have you sought, nor worldly fame,
So We to Calon Cross now bind
Our favored subject Kezia, to crowd's acclaim.

"I greet you, woman, praise your name;
How pleasant to the ear, how sweet it is to say!
It would not deserve its fame,
Had you not made it good and kind, as is your way."

Is from J.W. Thomas' Medieval German Lyric Verse; a translation of the first four lines of "Sô wol dir, wîp, wie reine ein nam," by Reinmar der Alte, written between 1190 and 1210.

"The cross demands a guileless mind"

Is from J.W. Thomas' Medieval German Lyric Verse; a translation of "Dem kriuze zimt wol reiner muot," by Hartmann von Aue, a poet of the late 12th century.

-Ingeborg