Hi Julie,

When it's a logo, the only right I reserve is for my portfolio and personal
promotion- I know stories of people charging very little for a design for a
small company that becomes giant, like Nike- but my thought is that as long
as I am getting paid a fair hourly rate, that's OK by me when I have a
winning company's logo in my own portfolio (not that I do, but I can hope!)

. However, on the rare occasion when I have a regular illustration
contract, and in my art-for-sale work,  I reserve all the rights I can
manage.  I figure the mushroom graphic for tshirts etc. as sort of a logo,
so I would just treat it that way if it were me.

Yes, I send along hours it will take, for each stage, I figure the client
likes to see where the money breakdown is- or at least, I like to justify
my price!

 I think watermarks is a good idea for you, since I am assuming the work
will be in your full-color painting style- the logo I had stolen was from
an approved final sketch, that then the company backed out of paying and
cancelled the contract- rendered into screenprint-ready logo-style by a
less-than competent, but free, artist- I discovered later it was the school
owner's wife.  At least I learned I need to charge at the different stages
from that, so I count it as "continuing education" :)

Happy to help, I know how confusing it was when I started getting these
kind of jobs.  Now, it's a small but satisfying sideline- it is curiously
rewarding to see my picture randomly around town on people's jackets,
tshirts and bumper stickers.

Maia